About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Morning after thoughts, Advent 3

Good morning!

Well, it's interesting to me that here on Monday morning THE part of the reading that is still percolating around in my brain is the part that was left OUT of the official lectionary, but that I incorporated yesterday, vs 9 of John chapter 1:

"The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world."

What does this mean? What does it look like when the True (or genuine) Light enlightens someone? I won't lie....my thoughts on this have been influenced by the prayer-book "Liturgy of the Hours" which has been my devotional book throughout this Advent. This is a very involved devotional resource that specifically directs the reader's attention to the dominant themes of the week. I was therefore not surprised to read today's (Monday of Advent 3) intercessions. Note the talk of "light" and also note how it ends:

"Light that never fades, rise to dispel the mists about us.
--awaken our faith from sleep.
Guard us from all harm today,
--may your glory fill us with joy.
Give us unfailing gentleness at all times,
--toward everyone we meet.
Come to create a new earth for us,
--where there will be justice and peace."

In addition to these prayers, I am also touched by the prophet Amos--the topic of our adult Sunday morning class. Yesterday we read in Amos 5:15: "Hate evil and love good, and establish justice in the gate; it may be that the Lord, the God of hosts, will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph."

One of the things that seems clear to me is that the God of the Universe has a profound interest in justice (and peace). In moments of weak faith, we perhaps wonder why God is so lax in establishing a greater degree of justice in the world. Yet even in moments of great faith--especially in this country--the topic often plays second fiddle to matters of personal piety, by which I mean an extremely narrow focus on our own "personal salvation" to the exclusion of everything else.

One of the things I take from John 1:9 is that when the True Light enlightens us, our eyes are either opened (or should be opened) to the areas crying out for justice in our communities and in our world. For if God is lax in establishing justice, it can only be because the **means** through which God works--those who claim to follow him--are, themselves, being lax.

Being enlightened.....following the one True Light....is about MUCH more than just going to heaven when we die. It's about doing God's work now.

Cheers,

TM

No comments: