Why are we as a congregation here? A good Lutheran response to that question is that we're here to preach the Gospel in its purity and administer the Sacraments correctly. Yet, it's also true to say that there is nothing UNIQUE about that mission. Every Christian congregation, regardless of brand name, is tasked with the same thing. Within a 5 mile radius there may be a half dozen or more churches each, to the best of their ability, preaching the Gospel and administering the sacraments. Why does God need all of them if they're all called to do the same thing? In today's reading from Acts 11 we learn that God TASKS individual congregations with *particular missions beyond the big picture of Gospel and Sacraments. In that sense, it's as though God has opened multiple 'franchises' in a given area, each with specific talents and each with a particular duty to be HIS PRESENCE in that community. Every Christian congregation, from the 1st century Jerusalem Church of Acts 11 all the way down to our present day must constantly ask itself: are WE being faithful to our franchise?
It strikes me that this passage from Acts 11 where Peter reports his encounter with the Roman Centurion Cornelius, gives us a 'template,' as it were, concerning how we can approach the question of our SPECIFIC mission/mandate from God. In that sense, it almost preaches itself.
(TNIV) Acts 11:1 The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him 3 and said, "You went into the house of the uncircumcised and ate with them."
This is no SMALL matter that these believers are actually criticizing Peter. Peter is the prince of the Apostles & the recognized leader of the Church at this stage. Hence, there are some STRONG feelings involved. Makes sense, as Peter committed a major infraction against the Jewish way. I find it noteworthy that, on the other hand, Cornelius can be accepted at the synagogue as a "God-fearer," but that doesn't mean Jews can be in table fellowship with him at his own home.
4 Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story: 5 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. 6 I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. 7 Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.' 8 "I replied, 'Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' 9 "The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.' 10 This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again. 11 "Right then three men who had been sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying.
--RECOGNIZE! This is really the first step to answering the question of whether or not we're being faithful to our franchise. Have eyes to see when God has literally dropped something in our lap. Don’t be so curved inward that we don’t recognize a vision of possibility when it occurs.
12 The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man's house.
--REACT! Peter had no idea what he was getting in to, but he was at least willing to give it a try. I find it noteworthy that he also convinced 6 fellow believers to go with him. This seems like the sharing/testing stage.
13 He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. 14 He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.' 15 "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'
--RESPOND! Once there, Peter did not chicken out; He assessed the situation and responded accordingly to their need. It's really a matter of simple faithfulness; being willing to get outside of the 4 walls that comprised his box.
17 So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God's way?" 18 When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life."
--REJOICE! Did they see this one coming? Evidently not, even though Jesus himself had issued the Great Commission. Evidently the “go into all the world” directive had, to this point, always been seen as a mission to diaspora Jews. In other words, the Jerusalem church had a brand new assignment dropped in their laps—mission to the Gentiles. They didn’t anticipate it, but they’re rejoicing in the outcome. People who've studied the book of Acts know that this new mission isn't without its complications. Ours might not be either. That's not the issue. The issue ....for EVERY Christian congregation of all time has always been one of faithfulness. The Lord asks: "Will you be faithful to the particular mission/franchise I've called you to?
Cheers,
TM
About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'
- rev-tim
- Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
- I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment