About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thoughts going in, Sunday April 17th

Sunday April 17th is Palm/Passion Sunday.

Some want to know WHICH IS IT, Palm Sunday **OR Passion Sunday?
In truth, it's both.

It is, to be sure, the Sunday of the church year that has the *longest readings, including not just one but *two Gospel readings: a "processional Gospel" which recounts the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, and then the very long (2 chapters) Passion narrative.

Clearly, this is a Sunday for the pastor to 'be quiet,' and let the Word of God speak to God's people.

I do not typically preach a sermon on Palm/Passion Sunday. I guess I'd call what I do more of a 'reflection' or 'meditation' on the readings--and it is very brief, otherwise the service never ends.

Taken together, the story of the triumphal entry of Jesus--with crowds waving & cheering, screaming "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord," and thinking to themselves no doubt, "here is promised Messiah come to restore Israel's fortunes; come to wield God's might against the Roman & Herodian overlords..."--combined with the story of the almost immediate reversal of sentiment leading ultimately to Christ's crucifixion, I cannot help but think of how wrong it is to consider that the **only temptation Jesus ever faced was early in the Gospels, in the wilderness with Satan.

In the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (which has too many Biblical & Christological parallels to enumerate here), the Hobbit Frodo is the "ring bearer," the one who was fated to bear the ring of power back to Mount Doom. Frodo, throughout the story, is an obvious Christ figure. But there are other parallels throughout the story.
Along the way, the fellowship encounters Galadriel....the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth, and the greatest of all elven women. In a moment of utter despair, Frodo silently offers the ring of power to Galadriel ....in order to be rid of it. The following dialog is from the movie version:

Frodo: [telepathically] If you ask it of me, I will give you the One Ring.
Galadriel: You offer it to me freely? I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.

[her countenance & entire being starts to grow dark]

Galadriel: In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

[she stops]

Galadriel: I have passed the test. (she does not accept the ring)

During that triumphal entry in Jerusalem those many years ago, I envision Satan on that donkey with Jesus:

[Satan]: "Some parade, eh? Man, they really love you. Look at 'em....they're putting palm leaves on the road....they're putting their cloaks down too! They are willing to do ANYTHING you ask of them! They're willing to follow you in battle...they're willing to MAKE YOU KING!!! And, YOU ALONE, have the power to be the sort of king they crave....you alone could pull this off. They're RIGHT, YOU ARE THE SON OF DAVID......**BE DAVID** for them! TAKE THE RING OF POWER!!!!

It had to have been an immense temptation.
But he passed.

He took the path laid out by his Father, instead, which ultimately **did lead to glory, but went first to the cross....as the author of Hebrews says: looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God


A blessed Holy Week to you all.


TM

No comments: