John 15:9 "As the
Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will
remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his
love. 11 I have told you this so
that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other
as I have loved you. 13 Greater
love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I
command. 15 I no longer call you
servants, because servants do not know their master's business. Instead, I have
called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made
known to you. 16 You did not
choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit
that will last--and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give
you. 17 This is my command: Love
each other. (TNIV)
This Sunday's Gospel reading is a
direct continuation from last week's. Last week we saw the first 8 verses from
John 15 talked about Christ the true vine, and his disciples as branches. We
also saw that the only imperative, the only 'command,' within those 8 verses
was to REMAIN.
Building on this, we see now two
commands in this section. First, "REMAIN," again, this time not only
remaining "in Christ," but specifically in the his love (v.9), which
is a reflection of the Father's love (v.10). Second, love each other.
Ironically, the first command probably
sounds easier than the second. After all, if God hasn't done anything too bad
to us lately (like let a tornado destroy our house, etc.) we can probably drum
up something close to a generic love of God. After all, he provides the air we
breathe, the rain and sunshine that allows crops to grow, and it's just sorta
easy for people raised in the Church to have a "benevolent dictator"
view of God. Occasionally he seems capricious, but if nothing bad has happened
to us lately, he seems ok most of the time.
But what about "each other?"
It seems that the more I've immersed myself in church work, the more I have
sadly come upon the truth that very often Christians not only aren't
characterized for their love of God's creation, or their love of for
un-churched humanity, ..... they're not even characterized by their love for
EACH OTHER. Indeed, often they're not even characterized by their general
"like" for each other! How can this be? When the Bible has SO MUCH to
say about love, how can people who claim to be interested in adhering to the
Bible's teaching, fall so short?
Very likely there are enough aspects to
answering that question to fill an entire book, but two things suggest
themselves to me right off the bat. First, Jesus says in John 13:35 "By this all people will know that you are
my disciples, if you have LOVE for each other." If that's true, then
it's probably safe to say that the reverse is also true. Something along the
lines of, "By this nobody will be able to figure out that you are my
disciples if you have no love for each other." Hence, while some may find
the 'handywork' of the forces of evil most prevalent in wars, disease,
destruction of our environment, etc., it's very safe to say that such forces
are also fast at work in an anti-evangelistic crusade to blunt and silence the
message of Christ in the world--and what better way to accomplish this than to
turn Christians into an angry, hateful, bickering mob of fanatics who not only
hate the world, but hate each other?
The second thing that comes to mind in
terms of falling short of the Bible's concept of reflecting the love of Christ
(and hence his Father) has to do with the true meaning of biblical love. Vs 13
is that very well-known passage: Greater
love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. The
great thing about this verse is that it turns our attention away from the
'emotional' side of love. Some people, after all, ARE difficult to like even if
they are Christians. But in vs 13, we come upon a different concept: the idea
of love = dedication to others; love = not living solely for oneself; love =
living one's life with devoted to the needs of the community of friends [fellow
Christians first, followed by an ever-widening circle of all creation].
cheers,
TM
No comments:
Post a Comment