About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thoughts going in, Sunday June 24th


35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A great squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care that we're perishing?" 39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Peace! Be still!" Then the wind died down and there was a great calm. 40 He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" 41 They were greatly terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

            Every week I reserve the right to choose what I feel is the most helpful of the various English translations available for our Sunday readings--and trust me, the list of options continues to grow with each passing year. For the most part I've discovered that I like the clarity of the "TNIV" (Today's New International Version). That said, I'll quickly add that frequently NO translation fully hits the nail on the head every week. This week I've gone with the TNIV, but I've taken the liberty of 'fixing' a few things.
            For instance, in the span of 7 very short verses, the original Greek uses the word "mega" 3 times. Mega in Greek means the same thing it does in English. It means **GREAT, and/or great-big... and we're supposed to sit up and take notice at the word. I was, therefore, quite disappointed that almost every English translation glossed over one or more of the "megas" of the text. Why? I assume they were there... originally... to grab attention. So let's LET THEM GRAB our attention. It was a MEGA SQUALL (vs 37). And yet as great/mega as that squall was, after the word spoken by Jesus there was a MEGA CALM (vs 39). Then...ironically, when it's all over the disciples are gripped with a MEGA FEAR in the presence of Jesus (vs 41).
            Why fear? Shouldn't they be thrilled that they're not drowning? Mark here captures the truth that encountering a presence that is GREATER than the worst storms of life can indeed be disconcerting. Fear is a very natural reaction. In order to track with this, all we have to do is transfer it to our setting. What Midwesterner isn't absolutely TERRIFIED at the thought of a tornado--especially one of those category F5 monsters? Viewing the footage of such a storm in the comfort of our own living rooms is enough to send chills up our spine. But then.... imagine encountering a power MORE POWERFUL THAN THAT.... a power that, with a word, could cause the tornado to evaporate. Whatever fear we may have had of the ominous threat would be quickly transferred to the power greater than that threat. Mark captures a very normal/natural reaction on the part of the disciples. Our God is indeed an "awesome God" as the praise tune says, but it's a good reminder for us that ENCOUNTERS with the awesomeness of God drive us to our knees in respect....and, yes, fear.
            The big picture that St. Mark would have us see, however, is that the story doesn't end there. The story doesn't end with the disciples cowering in the presence of the awesome/fearful power of God on the lips of Jesus. This one they call "Teacher," this one who is present with them and who is greater than any storm that life can dish out, will go on to do something even MORE MEGA....something of ultimate greatness; he will sacrifice himself for all humanity,...and in so doing, he will once and for all calm the stormy rift between The Creator and all of His Creation.

Cheers,

TM

No comments: