About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thoughts going in, Sunday July 8th


            Well, I really don’t have any thoughts going in to this Sunday. That’s because I’m on vacation (again!). Actually, this week of vacation has been—as usual for this time of year—the week I devote to a personal continuing-education retreat. Indeed, this note comes to you from the shores of Lake Huron, and the Lake Huron Retreat Center.
            One of the topics I chose to study this year was St. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. The primary reason for this is that the lectionary gives us a wonderful opportunity to spend some time in Ephesians this year. Beginning Sunday, July 15th, we will immerse ourselves in a seven-week sermon series that I’ve entitled “God’s Blueprint for the Church.”
            Catchy titles aren’t my ‘thing,’ but this one sorta seemed easy. After all, we’re in the process of thinking and praying about future building projects concerning our worship space—and the letter to the Ephesians is SO dominated by Paul’s wisdom for building/building-up the Church.
            In order to prepare for this upcoming series, I would like to encourage everyone to read the entire book of Ephesians at least once. It’s really not that long. Ideally, you’ll find time to read it a couple of times—and perhaps even in different variations of the Bible. Of course in only 7 weeks there won’t be time to hit everything—and the lectionary doesn’t even try. Indeed, some of the most culturally-conditioned and/or ‘controversial’ passages have been judiciously omitted from the Sunday readings (that little part about wives submitting to husbands, and slaves submitting to masters, for instance). Yeah, in a way we could say that the lectionary got a little bit “lilly-livered” there, and I’m sure many pastors breathed a sigh of relief ….as they won’t have to wrestle with those particularly difficult passages. Nor will we wrestle with them—at least not in the Sunday sermon. However, if all goes well, I will at least try to make periodic posts on the “leftovers”…aka…the stuff that the lectionary left out.

Cheers,

TM

No comments: