About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thoughts going in, Sunday March 17th


Philippians 3:4b: If others think they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. 7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

            As with most of the passages that appear on the lectionary cycle for Lent, this passage from St. Paul's letter to the church at Philippi is one that most Christians are familiar with and have heard before. In it, Paul uses the language of *exchange, or even the language of accounting-- credits and debits. It's also the language of before/after.
            Before, he had been piling credits into a certain column. He was not just Jewish, but he was a natural-born Jew (his parents were not converts). He was confident about which tribe his family was from--something that not all 1st century Jews could say. In addition to that he was zealous for the Torah, so much so that he joined the party of the Pharisees. For a person who CARED MOST about the 'righteousness' that came through practicing the system, Paul had it down.
            I suppose that it's at this point that one should insert a question as to the relevance of St. Paul's personal experience to our day. In other words, the success that Paul was striving for was entirely a religious success. Paul wanted to be on the 'right side' of things as defined by God. It's a laudable goal, but probably one that only the occasional few of our day even thinks about. Most people in our culture define success in entirely material terms. And if there's a God, it is assumed that he hands out high marks for good intentions, worldly success, and "being true to ourselves." Yet even in saying that, my hunch is that most people willingly put all thoughts of God out of their mind unless they're absolutely cornered.... say, at a funeral or something, where they're forced to confront their mortality.
            The crisis for Paul came when he realized that ALL of the credits he had piled up in the credit column of his balance sheet didn't add up to anything that mattered past this life. What's more, he shows that if what's *really important is the lasting stuff, the stuff that makes it into the resurrection, then that in turn redefines what life lived in the here & now is all about.
            And that provides a wonderful Lenten focus. Like Paul we're encouraged to forget what is behind. Like Paul, we're encouraged in Lent to strain toward what is ahead and press on toward the goal.

Cheers,

TM

No comments: