About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thoughts going in, Sunday May 5th


Rev 21:10-14, 22-23
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

            I don’t know if family reunions are big anymore. We live in such a fast-paced, spread-out world compared to yesteryear. When I was a boy, part of the annual summer ritual was to attend the family reunion. It was always held at a state or county park, with sandy beaches and lots of stuff for the kids to do. Some of my earliest memories of this event as a small child, however, had to do with HOW I could know I was in the right place. After all, ours wasn’t the only big group gathered at any given time at that park….and from a distance, one big group of people sort of looked the same as any other big group of people.
What finally did it for me was to look at the old people. Kids are constantly changing and growing. I frequently didn’t recognize my own cousins from year to year (and vice/versa)… but the old aunts and uncles always looked the same. If I could spot one of them then I knew I was in the right pavilion and with the right group.
There’s a neat thing going on in this passage from Revelation when it says of the “new Jerusalem:” 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. One city, but with the names of the 12 tribes of Israel on the gates and the names of the 12 apostles on the foundations. Unity and Continuity. Seeing the old people—or at least their names—tells us we’re in the right place.
But we don’t always appreciate unity & continuity. When I was serving as a chaplain I used to eat with the residents of the facility every Wednesday. I could easily tell the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month because the menu was ALWAYS “ham bbq or perogies.” Unity & continuity got pretty old.  The teenager who’s growing up and desperately trying to differentiate himself/herself from their family of origin doesn’t appreciate the unity & continuity of the family.  The person who’s grown tired and unfulfilled by a certain job or career field craves radical change as opposed to unity & continuity. And, YES… at times… in our quest to find spiritual fulfillment or ‘enliven’ our relationship with God it’s easy to lose our appreciation for what unifies us to the past and continues with us in our present.
May we come to view unity and continuity as a work of GOD…. and hence as something always done PERFECTLY, and always with us and our deepest needs in mind. The New Jerusalem is picture language for eternity with God. It won’t be eternity ALONE on our own cloud somewhere (Sorry Mick Jagger). And for that matter, it won’t even be the best thing WE can imagine. It will be the best thing GOD can imagine; a never ending family reunion in unity with all of God’s family down through the eons and generations, and a never-ending continuity together.

Cheers,

TM

No comments: