About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thoughts going in, Sunday Sept. 15th


12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
           
             Beginning this week the lectionary spends some time in the letters of 1 & 2 Timothy—so named as these documents are traditionally attributed to St. Paul as letters of instruction from him to his protégé. As I’ve begun mulling over the passage, the two verses that I find most fascinating are vss 13 and 15.
            Starting with vs 13: Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. I’m fascinated by the fact that Paul would choose to use the word “blasphemer” to describe himself in his former way of life. At its root, to blaspheme simply means to slander; to accuse wrongfully; abusive or disparaging language/remarks. Yet while that may be the basic understanding of the word, in the Scriptures it is almost always theologically freighted. In other words, heathens or unbelievers blaspheme God when they choose to worship idols instead of him. Pious Jews considered the unbelieving Gentile world to be automatically blasphemous because of their ignorant and superstitious ways. The first three commandments are all meant to build a hedge against blasphemy. Jesus was accused of blasphemy when he stated his relationship with God in terms that denoted too much closeness (“I and the Father are one,” etc. John chapter 10).
            The point is that as the world’s most zealous Pharisee, Paul (formerly Saul) would’ve been well acquainted with the word “blasphemer.” It would’ve been on his lips, no doubt, every time he arrested a Christian (see Acts 9). And so for him, in this passage, to turn around and now apply it to himself in his former life—I find it fascinating. I think that one of the main things we can take from this is that a person can be an incredibly moral person… an incredibly eager-to-serve God person… an incredibly zealous person, and at the end of the day, still be a BLASPHEMER. Think of all of the great evil done in the name of Christ: abortion clinics bombed, their doctors stalked and in some cases even murdered; Gays and their families who have been persecuted by pious believers. And in times past, and even today in some places, people of color discriminated against and targeted by fine upstanding Christians. Closer to home, I can think of many broken relationships that occurred because a Christian person couldn’t tolerate the other person’s unbelief or different belief: the father who will no longer speak to his daughter because she is Buddhist. Parents who’ve disowned a son because he married a Jew or a Jehovah’s Witness. Christians who hate their neighbors because they’re Mormon. The list is endless. This passage challenges us to see our ACTIONS in the light of what we SAY WE BELIEVE about Jesus. For a Christian to treat any one else with contempt amounts to slandering Christ and his sacrifice on the cross on their behalf. It’s blasphemy.
            The other verse that caught my attention is vs 15: Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. “Worst,” as the word is rendered in the TNIV translation is actually somewhat of an interpolation. The old KJV translations words it this way: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am CHIEF. This is, of course, where we get the great old Lutheran hymn “Chief of sinners though I be.” In that sense, the KJV actually comes a bit closer to the original meaning in the Greek, where the word used is “proto”… which means first in line, or first in rank. In other words, Paul is saying he’s the highest ranking SINNER….and shockingly, after just discussing his past, he uses the present tense!
            I’m not sure why. Obviously Paul the apostle was not currently engaged in anything heinous. He had not committed murder (lately); he was not an adulterer; he hadn’t stolen or defrauded anyone. And even his past deeds were now in the past and duly repented of. It’s interesting that he still describes himself in such terms….not only a sinner, but the proto-sinner. In a lot of ways I think this is Paul’s way of recognizing the grace that has been given him in Christ. It’s his way of acknowledging his total and utter emptiness without Christ. Paul seems to be saying Christ Jesus came into the world not to save the really good people… he came not to save the people who have a couple of flaws…he came to save ALL, up to and including even a proto-sinner like himself. Luther’s “sin boldly” statement is along the same lines: “be a sinner and sin boldly, but let your faith in Christ be even more boldly.” The point isn’t about licentious living, it’s about the power of Christ to forgive and save.
            In the end, of course, we’ll never “need” or feel the need for a Savior unless we can look deeply inside and see ourselves in similar terms. What about you would make you the proto-sinner? Christ Jesus came into the world to save you from that!

Cheers,

TM

            

No comments: