About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thoughts going in, Sunday July 6th, Pentecost +4

Gen 24:34 So he said, "I am Abraham's servant. 35 The LORD has blessed my master abundantly, and he has become wealthy. He has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, male and female servants, and camels and donkeys. 36 My master's wife Sarah has borne him a son in her old age, and he has given him everything he owns. 37 And my master made me swear an oath, and said, 'You must not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live, 38 but go to my father's family and to my own clan, and get a wife for my son.' 39 "Then I asked my master, 'What if the woman will not come back with me?' 40 "He replied, 'The LORD, before whom I have walked faithfully, will send his angel with you and make your journey a success, so that you can get a wife for my son from my own clan and from my father's family. 41 Then, when you go to my clan, you will be released from my oath even if they refuse to give her to you--you will be released from my oath.' 42 "When I came to the spring today, I said, 'LORD, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come. 43 See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, "Please let me drink a little water from your jar," 44 and if she says to me, "Drink, and I'll draw water for your camels too," let her be the one the LORD has chosen for my master's son.' 45 "Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her, 'Please give me a drink.' 46 "She quickly lowered her jar from her shoulder and said, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too.' So I drank, and she watered the camels also. 47 "I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milkah bore to him.' "Then I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms, 48 and I bowed down and worshiped the LORD. I praised the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me on the right road to get the granddaughter of my master's brother for his son. 49 Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so I may know which way to turn." 50 Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is from the LORD; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. 51 Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master's son, as the LORD has directed." 52 When Abraham's servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the LORD. 53 Then the servant brought out gold and silver jewelry and articles of clothing and gave them to Rebekah; he also gave costly gifts to her brother and to her mother. 54 Then he and the men who were with him ate and drank and spent the night there. When they got up the next morning, he said, "Send me on my way to my master." 55 But her brother and her mother replied, "Let the girl remain with us ten days or so; then you may go." 56 But he said to them, "Do not detain me, now that the LORD has granted success to my journey. Send me on my way so I may go to my master." 57 Then they said, "Let's call the girl and ask her about it." 58 So they called Rebekah and asked her, "Will you go with this man?" "I will go," she said. 59 So they sent their sister Rebekah on her way, along with her nurse and Abraham's servant and his men. 60 And they blessed Rebekah and said to her, "Our sister, may you increase to thousands upon thousands; may your offspring possess the cities of their enemies." 61 Then Rebekah and her attendants got ready and mounted their camels and went back with the man. So the servant took Rebekah and left. 62 Now Isaac had come from Beer Lahai Roi, for he was living in the Negev. 63 He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching. 64 Rebekah also looked up and saw Isaac. She got down from her camel 65 and asked the servant, "Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?" "He is my master," the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself. 66 Then the servant told Isaac all he had done. 67 Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

            This week we continue with the alternative Old Testament readings that have been appointed for this year--readings that trace the story of God's covenantal relationship through the "First Families." On the surface, this week's [long] reading simply sounds like a love story. The last verse could very well have been written, "and they lived happily ever after." And I suppose there's nothing wrong with stopping there. We could view this as a wedding text and talk about the blessings of a believing spouse within a covenantal relationship with the Lord.
            Going deeper, many Christian commentators also see in this passage elements of great faith and answered prayer. We are not told the name of this loyal servant of Abraham, but tradition has always said that it is none other than Eliezer of Damascus... the same man whom Abraham lamented would be his heir at one point (Gen 15:2). Many have pointed out that when the servant prays that if the 'right woman' should come along, she would not only offer him a drink but also water his camels, that this is QUITE the request! The commentators tell us that camels can drink up to 20 gallons of water at a time. The account tells us Abraham’s servant had 10 camels with him, so when Rebekah watered the camels she packed potentially 200 gallons of water up out of the well! The point is that God answered the servant's prayer in such a way that he could be ASSURED that he was pursuing the right course.
That's wonderful, but I think most Christians would have a hard time relating. How often have we prayed for much less of a sign only to be left guessing?
            When it comes right down to it, I think of all of the 'takes' on this story, I like that of the modern Jewish Rabbi Jonathan Sacks the most. God makes wonderful, awesome, earth-shattering covenant promises. He promised Abraham a land of his own and more descendants than the sands of the seashore. Yet at this time in the story Abraham owns no land of his own--indeed, as Rabbi Sacks points out--he has just completed a very difficult bargaining process in order to buy a small chunk of land to bury his wife in--and his son Isaac, while healthy, has yet to marry and produce heirs. And when we get to the details of this Sunday's text, what we find are very difficult and complex matters. Abraham's servant has traveled FAR. It's been a long and difficult journey. He's looking for a needle in a haystack. Abraham himself had taken a risk, as entrusting a servant with such provisions and on such a long journey, what if the servant had decided this was his big chance to break out on his own? And then there's the bargaining process with Rebekah's family who ostensibly like the idea of her marriage to Isaac, but aren't willing to let her go right away. Most Christian Bibles soft-pedal this saying Let the girl remain with us ten days or so (v55), but there's enough leeway in the Hebrew that the Jewish rendering is Let the girl remain with us for a year, or ten months at least. In other words, these are intense negotiations that Abraham's servant is involved in.
            Here's the point.... YES... God issues wonderful, awesome, earth-shattering, life-changing covenantal promises. He did so for Abraham and the Patriarchs; he did so for Moses and the Prophets; and he does so for all humanity through the death and resurrection of his own dear Son Jesus. However, these promises entail at their very core an invitation to ACT; to move; to leave the land of your fathers and go to a place I will show you (Gen 12:1); to travel far to find a wife for the child of promise; to be willing to wait until the right woman comes along; to engage in hard bargaining with her family; and then take the long, hard journey back.
            Things like this are harder for the Christian to preach because we always want to emphasize the GRACE of God which comes to us as a free gift without any merit or worthiness on our part. Yet over and over again, both testaments show that God's grace is *not a divine invitation to simply turn to the right tv channel and comfortably watch. God's grace is an invitation to GO, WORK, WRESTLE, and LIVE the life he envisions for us!

Cheers,


T.M.

No comments: