At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was
winter, 23 and Jesus was
walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long
will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us
plainly.” 25 Jesus
answered, “I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my
Father’s name testify to me; 26 but
you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice. I know
them, and they follow me. 28 I
give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out
of my hand. 29 What my
Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of
the Father’s hand. 30 The
Father and I are one.” (John 10:22-30)
The fourth
Sunday of Easter is always designated as "Good Shepherd Sunday." The
Gospel readings are always taken from John chapter 10, the Good Shepherd discourse, and while the specific verses and emphasis
varies depending on the lectionary cycle, the common denominator is always to
present Christ as the Good Shepherd of the Sheep.
In year C of
the cycle (our current year), it's somewhat interesting in that the term good shepherd does not appear in the
reading itself... it appears earlier in the chapter and hence in the selected
Gospels for year A and B. I sort of like this, as it seems to be in keeping
with some of the quirks of year C, such as the Easter Sunday Gospel reading
that didn't actually feature the resurrected Christ, but only the empty tomb
and folded grave clothes. For what it's worth, the 2nd reading for the Sunday
is taken from Revelation and does come
close to mentioning the term: for the
Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them
to springs of the water of life, and God will wipe away every tear from their
eyes. (Rev 7:17). Regardless, there
is plenty enough talk of sheep (and specifically his sheep) so as to make this chunk of John chapter 10 suitable for
the year C Gospel reading for "Good Shepherd Sunday."
Before I move
off of liturgical matters, another point needs to be made. One of the things
being observed on this day is the fact that the pre-resurrection teachings of
Jesus still hold sway. Nothing has changed. Often times secular accounts of the
crucifixion are spun in such a way so as to imply that this was a horrible catastrophe; unplanned; un-prepared for, etc.
etc. John's Gospel especially puts this notion to rest. No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I
have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again, (Jn 10:18).
In other words, the 'big picture' of Good Shepherd Sunday isn't that Jesus used to be the good shepherd until that
unfortunate incident on a Roman cross... He has been, is, and will be the
Good Shepherd of the sheep. This was always and has always been the plan, and
in the immortal words of Hannibal from TV's The A Team, I love it when a plan comes together.
As to the
text itself, there's a lot of back story going on... mostly concerning Jesus
and the ongoing jousting match with the Jewish religious authorities in the
Temple precincts. John even subtly remarks that the whole conversation in this
portion of the reading is taking place during the "Festival of the
Dedication," (vs 22), by which he means Hanukkah--the Jewish commemoration
of the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple at the time of
the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire. Hanukkah is
observed for eight nights and days, and is also known as the Festival of
Lights. The festival is observed by the kindling of the lights of a
unique candelabrum, the nine-branched menorah, one additional light
on each night of the holiday, progressing to eight on the final night. This is
the sort of stuff that gives extra relevance to statements of Jesus such as, I am the true light, etc.
It's not that Jesus had an antagonistic attitude about the Temple, it's that he
felt that the Temple's true purpose
was to point TO HIM.
From the
text... in keeping with the liturgical theme of Good Shepherd, the key verse(s)
are: My sheep hear my voice. I know
them, and they follow me. 28 I
give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out
of my hand. 29 What my
Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of
the Father’s hand, (27-29). From
these, we learn that the baptized life consists of:
-- The sheeply activity of hearing and
following (vs 27a). I was very interested to note from linguistic tools that
this concept of 'following' isn't a sort of mindless activity, as in, just
putting one foot in front of the other. It's a compound word that means to walk
along with on the same path. It also has a decided 'political' flavor to it; it
can mean to be of the same party. The
baptized life also includes:
-- The reality of being known,
(vs 27a). As I ponder this thought it strikes me that this being known is a no holds barred intense knowing... of both our
ultimate potential and capacity for good, as well as all of those things that
we're most ashamed of. For the Good Shepherd, both sides of our coin are known and accepted. Finally, the
baptized life inludes:
-- Assurance
of a 'higher power,' (vss 28-29) And, no, I'm not slamming AA and other 12-step
type groups. I'm a firm believer in the veracity of truth, even if it's
incomplete truth. The reason higher
power thinking works for recovery programs is because there is a higher power. But within the
baptized life of faith, higher power thinking reaches its greatest conclusion.
Ultimately, our ability to attain salvation isn't a matter of being big enough,
good enough, strong enough, smart enough, theologically correct enough, ... or
even faithful enough. Ultimately, our salvation rests in the "good
hands" of Jesus and his Heavenly Father.
Cheers,
T.M.
No comments:
Post a Comment