About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thoughts going in, May 8th, Easter +7

Jesus prayed for his disciples, and then he said: "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 “Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” John 17:20-26

            This Sunday is the seventh, and last Sunday of Easter. On the three year cycle of readings, the specifics vary from one year to the next, but the central theme is always the same: ONENESS. The section of the Gospel of John that this is taken from is commonly called Christ's High Priestly Prayer. It's an extended prayer prayed on behalf of the disciples, but by extension, on behalf of the Church of all time (vs 21 I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word).
            As I've pondered this passage--and this idea of oneness/unity--for not the first time it's struck me as to how side-tracking it is to get hung up on the fractured nature of the visible church. If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times... why are there so many 'isms' within Christianity? Why can't Protestants and Catholics get along? Why are there so many denominations within Protestantism? For that matter, why are there so many different Lutheran groups? Honest curiosity is fine, but often the point of the question seems to be to use the lack of harmony at the institutional level as an excuse to withdraw from any and all churches--if for no other reason, as a 'protest vote' against their stubborn refusal to heed the Lord's call to unity.  Maybe the irony is lost somewhere along the line, but in our own, personal, local stubbornness we quite frequently jeopardize the unity of our parish, or of a particular ministry within the parish, while at the same time saying tisk-tisk about the lack of unity at the Big Church level.
            In verse 20 of the text we're informed of a very important concept... unity begins at home. Jesus says it in passing, but it's there nonetheless: I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe... In other words, Jesus as usual is taking the big picture in terms of the impact the Gospel will have on the world, but it starts with them. To paraphrase that part of the text: I ask not only on behalf of these... but I'm sure starting with them. Unity begins at home. However many different Lutheran groups there may be, however many different Protestant denominations there may be, however long the rift between Protestants and Catholics may go on, nothing of substance changes if individual parishes are fractured.
            Throughout Easter the emphasis has been about living the baptized life. What does it look like, or perhaps a better way to put it is, what is it calling us to? Along the way we have seen some of the answers to this question. It's a call to practice faith without having all of the answers, as this year's disciples had to do in the Easter Sunday reading; it's a call to practice reconciliation, as Jesus did with Thomas the doubter. It's a call to receive Christ in the meal; it's a call to lifelong following of the Good Shepherd; it's a call to respond to the Spirit's activity in our lives. It is also a call to unity... to oneness.

Cheers,

T.M.


No comments: