Gal 1:11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the
gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any human source, nor was I taught
it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my previous
way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried
to destroy it. 14 I was
advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was
extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his
grace, was pleased 16 to reveal
his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate
response was not to consult any human being. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before
I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. 18 Then after three years, I went up
to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 I saw none of the other
apostles--only James, the Lord's brother. 20 I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie. 21 Then I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was personally unknown to the
churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23
They only heard the report: "The man who formerly persecuted us is now
preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they praised God because of me.
A
question that doesn’t seem to be asked very often but that comes to my mind is…
if Paul could’ve received a special revelation about the Gospel… and then go
off and do his own thing, what makes Mohammed, or Joseph Smith (founder of the
Mormons), or Charles Taze Russell (founder of Jehovah’s Witnesses) any
different? Is not Paul basically teaching/preaching a theology of personal
experience over received tradition? As one author points out…there’s even an
irony involved, as Paul routinely insists that his converts ‘traditionalize’
his received personal experience!
I
mentioned Acts 15 and the Jerusalem council last week, and this is a pretty
good place to mention it again. No long quotes, you can look it up for
yourselves, but as much as Paul in places emphasizes the uniqueness of his call
and the way he received the message, in the end there is nothing particularly
unique about the essence of the Gospel he’s preaching. The 1st generation
missionary efforts to the Jews entailed the Gospel message that salvation came
by grace through faith in their Messiah—Jesus
of Nazareth. This is the same Gospel message that Paul preached to the
Gentiles; salvation came by grace through faith in the Messiah—Jesus of Nazareth. As we seek to differentiate Paul
from those who would come along later and claim special revelation, it is very
important to remind ourselves that The Church (including the most respected
‘pillar apostles’ of the day) put their stamp of approval on Paul’s message and
efforts. They saw complete compatibility between what they were doing among
Jewish people and what he was doing among the Gentiles. The same can obviously
not be said for those who came along much later.
On
to the main gist of the passage… I think we can key in on the last 2 verses: 23 They only heard the report: "The man
who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to
destroy." 24 And they
praised God because of me. There’s a real strong “Amazing grace that saved
a wretch like me” thread going through this passage. It should have the impact
of making us marvel at God’s choices. When Al Davis, managing general partner of the Oakland Raiders, spent a 1st
round draft pick on punter Ray Guy in the 1973 draft—to hear him tell the story—everyone
thought he had flipped his lid. First round draft picks are for quarterbacks,
or running backs or **maybe a great defensive lineman. You don’t waste a first
round pick on somebody who spends most of the game sitting on the bench. But
Davis was a true visionary, and Ray Guy was …by the standards of the day…practically
from another planet. He could punt the ball 50yards! Nobody could do that. He
was the ultimate defensive weapon, often pinning an opponent deep in their own
territory, and allowing Oakland to get the ball back. A strange choice turned
out to be shear genius.
Something
like that could also be said about God’s choice in Paul. The greatest enemy the
infant church had became its greatest friend; the infant church’s greatest
source of persecution became its first and greatest theologian. No one saw it
coming. No one could’ve predicted it.
And
God still works in ways like that. People we think are utterly hopeless are not
so in God’s eyes. When we’re ready to write someone off, let’s remember the
strange choice of God in calling Paul to be an apostle. His grace really is
THAT AMAZING.
Cheers,
TM
No comments:
Post a Comment