About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Online bible study tools

I mentioned during my sermon last week that there are some excellent online bible study tools available to all. Here are a few of my favorite links:

BLUE LETTER BIBLE
I could take you to the basic homepage, but instead, all me to link you to Eph chapter 3:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Eph&c=3&v=16&t=KJV#s=1100001

Of course you could pick any chapter of any book of the bible, but once here, click on the word "tools" and notice what pops up: English to Greek conversion of every word in the text, links to Strong's Concordance, links to commentaries, etc. Considering this site is 100% free, this is probably the greatest deal out there in terms of aiding a person in close textual study of God's Word.

BIBLESTUDY TOOLS

http://www.biblestudytools.com
A Lot of the public domain stuff from Blue Letter Bible is also available here, as is a very good interlinear Bible option, with links to Strong's Concordance:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/interlinear-bible/

This site also has a TON of different English translations of the Bible with the ability to display two translations in parallel.

BIBLE HUB

http://biblehub.com/greek/5257.htm

Notice with this link I've linked into a specific Greek word (spelled using English letters), and referenced by Strong's number. There is a wealth of information here for word study & cross reference. And, given that every word of the Bible has a Strong's number, simply knowing that number (easily done given these online sites) and plugging it in here means being able to engage in fantastic studies without ever purchasing or opening a book.

ENJOY!


TM

No comments: