About Me...what is an 'evangelical-catholic?'

Elk Grove Village, IL, United States
I was born & raised in rural mid-Michigan (M-go blue!). Life & work have taken me to many different places. God has too, as I've come to learn that faith is a pilgrimage. I very much resonate with the label 'EVANGELICAL-CATHOLIC.' I was raised Baptist, but found myself drawn to the Sacraments & Liturgy of the Church. I appreciate very much the words of the Augsburg Confession: "...nothing has been received among us, in doctrine or in ceremonies, that is contrary to Scripture or to the church catholic." Evangelical-catholic is a term of self-designation used by Christians coming from a broad spectrum of theological perspectives and commitments, ranging from Lutherans, Anglicans, and various Evangelicals yearning for greater catholicity .....to faithful Roman Catholics longing for an evangelical renewal of the Church. Perhaps beneath the apparent denominational differences there lies a common...groaning of the Spirit of God, who is seeking to draw the members of Christ’s mystical body into a communal life that is both fully catholic and fully evangelical. One can always hope and pray!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thoughts going in, Sunday January 12th

Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" 15 Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

            This Sunday the liturgical color is still white, and we're still in Epiphany mode as we observe the Baptism of Jesus. As I've mentioned in the past, there are three historic themes of Epiphany (these themes often are expressed in the different stanzas of Epiphany hymns). These are: the star guiding the Magi from the East; the Baptism of Christ; and the turning of water into wine at the wedding of Cana. Over time, the Baptism of Christ was given its own day--the first Sunday after Epiphany.
            However, *celebrating the Baptism of Jesus and *understanding the Baptism of Jesus are two separate things. This week's Sunday's and Seasons commentary offers these remarks:

            From the time Jesus first presented himself for baptism by John until today, Christians have puzzled over why Jesus had to be baptized. The act of baptism was understood to be an act of repentance and the cleansing of one's sins. John does not understand why Jesus, whose sandals John is "not worthy to carry" (Matt. 3:11) should seek to be baptized. Instead, John declares to Jesus, "I need to be baptized by you" (Matt. 3:14). Why should the Son of God, who is without sin, need to be baptized?
            Frederick Dale Bruner, in Matthew: A Commentary (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004), says that he considers Jesus' first miracle to have occurred at his baptism. The miracle is that Jesus was humble. The divine Son of God humbles himself by allowing John to baptize him. This act of humility is an act of obedience to God and solidarity with all humankind. Jesus has no sins to be forgiven. However, for us, he goes down to the river of repentance with all the other sinners to be baptized. Jesus' baptism, his first adult act as recorded in Matthew's gospel, gives us a clear indication of how Jesus will act for his entire life. The Son of God will come down with us, on our level, identifying with our needs. His baptism, then, foreshadows how his life will end, on the cross. In his death, Jesus experiences the worst we could ever experience as mortal humans. But, because Jesus united with us in baptism, we are united with him in both his death and resurrection. The barriers that separate us from God, including the barriers of sinfulness, mortality, and death, are broken by Jesus' obedience to God, through his humility to come down to us in the depths of our humanity.

            I like Bruner's remarks on the humility of Christ, but I wish he had gone further. To me the 'secret' to understanding Jesus' baptism is in the voice from heaven: This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased (v17). Regardless of which corner of the Church we're in, baptism doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It only takes a couple of minutes; a person gets a little bit wet; big deal. BUT, evidently it IS a big deal. It certainly was for Jesus, as his actions elicited the approving voice of the Father. In the case of Jesus, and building on this concept of his 'humility,' I would say that it's all about Jesus' willingness to embrace the mission; his willingness to walk the baptismal road, which for him begins at the Jordan, but ends on the cross. In other words, Jesus was born Jesus of Nazareth, but he EMBRACES his identity of Jesus CHRIST--the Christos, the Messiah, the Savior of the world... at his baptism... and this is what the Father finds so pleasing.
            Let's put it another way... often Jesus is portrayed as the 'perfect' Son of God; the one who unquestionably does the Father's will--which legalistic preachers interpret to mean that Jesus never lies, cheats or steals. These things are true, however concentrating exclusively on Jesus' moral perfection misses a more important detail... Jesus perfectly adheres to the Father's will by agreeing to, and accepting the mission of, being the sin-bearer of the world. This happens at the cross, but as I've already mentioned, the road to the cross begins THIS DAY at the Jordan with his baptism.
            And so OF COURSE the Father is pleased. Salvation, redemption, forgiveness and mercy are all proceeding as planned!

Cheers,

TM


No comments: